Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gobble, Gobble!

With Turkey Day coming up so soon, D and I have really been planning how we will spend our Thanksgiving. Work has gotten the best of us this year, so it will be just the two of us in our little abode, but we still have plenty to be thankful for. Since D is by far the stronger cook of the two of us he will be taking care of the food. I have taken care of the table setting and will make the dessert the day of.

Today I'm going to share with you how I decided to decorate our table on a budget. We're not typically very fancy when we eat, so I didn't want to spend gobs of money for something that would hardly ever get used. I didn't start with a dollar amount in mind, just that I wanted everything to be relatively inexpensive. Without further ado, I present our table:


It's pretty simple, but still adorable, if you ask me! Now I realize there's a giant flower arrangement blocking conversation in the middle of the table, but know that we will most likely sit next to each other, this just looks so much better for set up. Here is what it will look like sitting down:


I love that the colors are very fall, but still feel a little more fun with the purple placemat. Now, to break things down for you a little more, I'll fill you in on my purchases. To start things off, we already owned the vase, the plates are our everyday dishes, and the glasses were my great-grandmother's (she periodically gets rid of things like this so she doesn't feel her house is too cluttered and it makes for a beautiful heirloom for me). The placemats I mentioned earlier are actually just scrapbook paper that I got in a pack from Target for $1. It's added color that I don't have to feel obligated to use for other dinners. Also from Target is the table runner, which is actually a scarf. It cost $15, but I was fine spending a little more because hello, I get to wear it, too! It will get much more use as a scarf than a runner in the future.


In this closer view you get a better peek at the adorable glasses I mentioned, and also the votives. The red ones are, again, from Target and were $1 a piece. The orange ones came from Goodwill and were a whopping 50 cents each! The wooden bowls on the plates were also only 50 cents each from Goodwill, and the same goes for the branch/wreath/nest thing around the vase. They were the cheapest things I bought, but I think they really make the setting.


The flowers were two separate bouquets from the grocery store that were $4 each, and I also had to pick up some new tea candles that cost $1 for a pack of 9.



Lastly, I also bought this smaller vase at Target for $5. I took another sheet of the scrapbook paper  mentioned above to create little cards that D and I can write things we're thankful for and read while we enjoy our dessert. I'm such a sap but I can't help myself. 

For anyone who's head is spinning with numbers, here's a breakdown of the budget for you:

Scarf table runner: $15 (Target)
Orange votives: $1.50 for 3 (Goodwill)
Wooden bowls: $1 for 2 (Goodwill)
Wreath around the vase: 50 cents (Goodwill)
Red votives: $3 for 3 (Target)
Scrapbook paper: $1 for an 8-pack (Target)
Small vase: $5 Target)
Tea candles: $1 for a 9-pack (Target)
Flowers: $8 for 2 bouquets (Grocery store)
Large vase, glasses, plates:  Free (Already owned)

Total: $36

I probably could have gotten a better deal on some things, like the scarf and the small vase to save an extra few bucks, but I'm ok with the price because I think I got a lot for the money and it can all easily be reused again. I can't wait to enjoy our Thanksgiving meal and spend some time thinking about all the blessings I have in my life. I hope you find time to do the same. Have you been getting anything ready for Thanksgiving lately? Maybe you're in charge of your table setting or the mashed potatoes? If you're in charge of the mashed potatoes I may have to stop by your table!

No comments:

Post a Comment